27-2089 Requirements for reoccupancy of vacant multiple dwellings.
§ 27-2089 Requirements for reoccupancy of vacant multiple dwellings.
a. In every multiple dwelling, where all apartments, suites of rooms and single room units, at any time after July fourteenth, nineteen hundred sixty-seven:
(1) Became unoccupied for a period of sixty days or more, or
(2) Were, or shall become, unoccupied by reason of having been vacated by the department under the provisions of the administrative code or any provision of the multiple dwelling law on the ground that such dwelling was or is deemed unfit for human habitation or dangerous to life and health, it shall be unlawful for the owner of such dwelling to cause or permit same to be used in whole or in part for living purposes (other than by a janitor, superintendent or resident caretaker) until such dwelling is made to comply with the applicable requirements of the administrative code and the multiple dwelling law affecting the kind and class of such structure. For the purpose of determining whether any such dwelling is unoccupied, occupancy of same by a janitor, superintendent or resident caretaker shall not be counted. It shall be unlawful for the owner of any such dwelling to cause or permit same to be used in whole or in part for living purposes (other than by a janitor, superintendent or resident caretaker) until (1) an application and plan for the work required by this article have been filed with and approved by the department of buildings, where required, (2) such work has been completed by the owner and approved by the department or the department of buildings where required, (3) where required by the department of buildings, a new certificate of occupancy has been obtained, and (4) the department has inspected and determined that such dwelling is habitable and may be occupied.
b. The provisions of this article shall not apply to:
(1) any multiple dwelling which is vacant or partly vacant because of a current alteration being performed under application and plan approved by the department for the elimination of interior rooms or the installation of sanitary facilities as required by the provisions of the administrative code or the multiple dwelling law, or
(2) any multiple dwelling which is vacant or partly vacant by reason of being used as a summer resort dwelling as defined in paragraph fortysix of subdivision a of section 27-2004
of article one of subchapter one of this chapter, or
(3) any old law or new law tenement for which no certificate of occupancy has been issued, two or more apartments are being combined to create larger residential units, the total legal number of families within the building is being decreased and the bulk of the building is not being increased.
(Am. L.L. 2019/159, 9/14/2019, eff. 9/14/2021)
||§ 27-2089 ADM CODE ABOVE PREMISES HAVE BEEN VACANT AND UNTENANTED EXCEPT FOR CARETAKER FOR 60 DAYS OR MORE, AND CANNOT BE REOCCUPIED UNTIL A NEW CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY HAS BEEN OBTAINED. PREMISES HAVE BEEN VACANT SINCE
||§ 27-2089 ADM CODE THE PREMISES HAVE BEEN VACATED BY AN ORDER OF THIS DEPARTMENT AND CANNOT BE REOCCUPIED EXCEPT FOR CARETAKER UNTIL A NEW CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY HAS BEEN OBTAINED.
||§ 27-2089 ADM CODE THE PREMISES FORMERLY A VACANT BUILDING ARE NOW OCCUPIED BY OTHER THAN A CARETAKER WITHOUT OBTAINING A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY
DISCLAIMER to comply with the New York City Consumer Protection Law which applies to all businesses operating in New York City: We are small family-owned and family-operated Brooklyn-based business. We are not a City of New York store nor are the website, products or services affiliated with the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York. We ourselves, our business, websites, products, services, or any hyperlinks from its website are not sponsored by, approved by, affiliated with, endorsed by, or connected to the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York, including but not limited to HPD, DOB, DOT, DSNY, FDNY and federal directly or by implication.
DISCLAIMER These codes and forms may not be the most recent version. The State / federal or other regulation department may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
The requirements for sign / forms content are determined by intended use and by applicable regulation. The BUYER is responsible for determining the appropriate content for a sign or package of signs. WE makes no warranty or representation of suitability of a sign for any specific application. IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE SIGNS / Forms THE CUSTOMER ORDERS ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS. Please review terms and conditions prior to purchase.
For more information about what is required, see the laws that are referenced and the rules applicable to your city and state. This page is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, professional advice or a statement of law. You may wish to consult with an attorney.